The Holkham Estate exchange contracts for freehold purchase of the Lord Nelson in Burnham Thorpe
11 July 2019Greene King have exchanged contracts on the sale of the historic Lord Nelson pub in Burnham Thorpe, North Norfolk to the Holkham Estate.
Burnham Thorpe is made famous as the village where Horatio Nelson was born and the Lord Nelson is a focal point of the village positioned facing the River Burn, recreation grounds and bowls club. Originally named The Plough, the pub is known to have been frequented by Nelson and was renamed in his honour in 1798 after the battle of the Nile (Abu Qir).
The Holkham Estate have taken the decision to invest in this important local landmark following a period of closure. Holkham Estate will be working closely with the local stakeholders to refurbish, improve and successfully reopen the pub, offering food, drink and a social hub for residents and visitors as well as creating jobs in the village.
Acting as sole agents, Everard Cole were instructed by Greene King to sell the freehold interest of the premises.
Jordan Hackney, who brokered the sale commented: "Due to the high levels of interest and multiple offers we received for the Lord Nelson, concluding in a formal tender process, we are delighted to have exchanged contracts on the sale to Holkham Estate. This is a local landmark and much loved and renowned pub. We are sure that locals and historians alike will be thrilled to learn it will be in safe hands for generations to come."
Holkham Estate is owned by Thomas Coke, the Earl of Leicester whose ancestor of the same name built Holkham Hall in the 18th Century.